[ssf] Fw: Conform or Out - Your Shout

Ruhul ruhul at blink.org.uk
Thu Dec 21 17:00:19 GMT 2006

Thursday 11th January 2007, 10.15-16.00, Vaughan Jeffries Lecture Theatre, Education Building, University of Birmingham

10:20 Registration

10:50 Chairman's opening comments

11:00 Keeping the faith: should we be delegating politics to God?
- Examining the role of religious schools in society
- Are we breeding a generation of religious androids?
- Lost souls: the radicalisation of religion
- Are community faith leaders destroying our communities?

Moderator:
Dolan Cummings, Research Director, Institute of Ideas

Panellists:

Salma Yaqoob, Vice Chair, Respect Party
Philip Bond, Professor of Theology, Lancaster University
Gurjeet Kaur, Editor, The Sikh Times

12:00 Rooting apathy out: is it time for a new grassroots political revolution?
- Who cares about political apathy?
- Examining whether "Gandhigiri" could work in the 21st century
- Should political power and authority be completely devolved to local communities?
- Student politics: is it more about "open all hours" than open minds?

Moderator:
Munira Mirza, Freelance Journalist

Panellists:
Ruqayyah Collector, Black Students Officer, NUS
Dr Shanthikumar Hettiarachchi, St Philips Centre for Study & Engagement

13:00 Lunch

14:00 Charity starts at home: Do minority ethnic communities care about development work?
- International development work: is it a white man's burden?
- Make Poverty History campaign": guilty conscience or genuine political activism
- Should third world debt be kept to the third world?

Panellists:
Ceri Dingle, Director, WORLDwrite
Kofi Mawuli Klu, Joint Coordinator, Rendezvous for Victory
Audrey Miller, Director, Jubilee Debt Campaign
Ruth Thompson, Campaigner, Oxfam

15:00 "Racist relations: we should all stick to our own kind"
- Lifting the veil on inter-community racism
- Is it simply a game of economics that shapes and divides communities?
- Neighbourhood watch: does anyone care about community cohesion?
- Backyard politics: why the government should keep its nose out?

Moderator:
Matab Khan, (New Style Community Radio (Birmingham)

Panellists:
Ted Cantle, Associate Director, IDeA
Joy Warrington, Director, BRAP
Karen Chouhan, Executive Director, The 1990 Trust
Lee Jasper, Senior Policy Advisor, GLA
Tahir Abbas, Director, Centre for the Study of Ethnicity and Culture, Birmingham University

16:00 Chairman's closing conclusions

16:05 Networking drinks

17:00 Close of conference

Attendance is FREE but requires registration. Please confirm your attendance by emailing CultivAsian via: email:Conference Registration Enquiry
Tel: Vik on 07956 341375

The 1990 Trust: email: ruhul at blink.org.uk
Tel: Ruhul on 07908 750748