[ssf] Re: SWAN posters

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 19:45:24 GMT 2006

Mr> Yes people take advantage of it because they are in poverty, but
Mr> to change that requires a wholesale change in society, indeed many
Mr> of those on IB are made ill because of the society we live in, ill
Mr> health from over work, fed crap by companies obsessed with greed,
Mr> living without community or support.

It's not really a wholesale change in society its just a bit of
tinkering around with various laws and rules. Things were different
and considerably better 20 years ago.

The attack on benefits was instigated under Thatcher and has been
going on ever since with the unending reign of extreme right wing
governments.

I guess you could link the phenomenom of attacks on the poor to
globalisation though I'm not sure that this is compelling the
government to act the way it is. It's more that they support
globalisation and so thus are instigating the attacks on benefit
claiments (among others).

I think 0742 is right to connect the attacks on dole workers to a
drift towards Incapacity benefit and its a mistake to deny that some
of that is happening.

However even if the BMA is right and 10% are are fraudulent it seems a
draconian measure to force the other 90% into hardship.

However if we don't take a look at the larger picture then even if
this battle is won then it will surely come up again sooner or later
anyway.

steve