[ssf] FW: 'What's Different About Our Politics of Fear'

Mr Jase Malgod spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 3 17:32:00 GMT 2006

Sociology and Politics Section
Division of Applied Social Sciences
Faculty of Development and Society
Sheffield Hallam University

Guest Lecture
by
Professor Frank Furedi

Monday 13th March 2006
5.30pm-5.50pm Registration: Heart Space, City Campus
6.00pm Lecture: Pennine Lecture Theatre, City Campus
7.00pm: Drinks and refreshments, Heart Space, City Campus

Sheffield Hallam University
Pennine Lecture Theatre
Level 2, City Campus
Pond Street
Sheffield

'What's Different About Our Politics of Fear'
The terms "left" and "right" pervade all our discussions of politics. But do
they mean anything any more? And is it really satisfactory to reduce all our
political debate to these two terms?  Furedi will argue in this lecture that
contemporary and recent developments, including the Cold War, the Culture
Wars and Third Way-type managerialism, have created the need for a new
conception of politics with an adequate conception of humanity - one that
"remoralises" politics by taking humans seriously, recognises the centrality
of morality and discussions of right and wrong, and utilises our
imaginations. Furedi proposes a new, and inevitably controversial, humanist
politics to escape the trap of 20th century political ideology. Frank Furedi
is Professor of Sociology at University of Kent

If you would like to book a place for this lecture, please contact Maxine
Greaves RSVP Email: M.J.Greaves at shu.ac.uk or telephone on 0114 225 5774 no
later than March 6th 2006