[ssf] supporting Menwith vigil

info at rhythmsofresistancesheffield.org.uk info at rhythmsofresistancesheffield.org.uk
Mon Jan 23 18:12:21 GMT 2006

You will be well aware that our right to legitimate protest is being steadily
eroded by the use of laws intended to combat problems from anti-social
behaviour to terrorism.

Every Tuesday evening between 6 and 8 pm a handful of people are attempting to
hold out against these pressures at NSA/USAF Menwith Hill near Harrogate in
North Yorkshire.  Menwith is the most secret US base in Britain. It's
unaccountable, unlawful and undemocratic.  It's integral to US plans to fight
in and through space.  It's the world's largest spy base and it's getting
bigger.  The Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases is trying to
maintain the right to make these statements to the people who work there in a
peaceful dignified way.  The response of the state and the US authorities has
been to do everything they can to stop this, citing laws intended to be used
against terrorists, and even encouraging the courts to issue ASBOs. You can
read some reports here: http://www.caabuk.plus.com/reports/indexReports.htm.

Rhythms of Resistance Sheffield action samba band has tried to support this
campaign. For many weeks during the winter the Tuesday vigil is maintained by
one or two people in the freezing conditions often to be found there.  I bit
of support and bit of noise is always very welcome.

We are making our next visit there on Tuesday February 14th.  It is about 75
minutes drive from Sheffield and the vigil ends at 8pm.  It would be fantastic
of anyone else from Sheffield wanted to come with us on that day to just show
that the people of Yorkshire are not happy with the existence of this place.

If you want to coordinate travel plans then get in touch at
info at rhythmsofresistancesheffield.org.uk