[ssf] Broken Covenant, Broken Arrow Re: [sheffield-anti-war-coalition] U.S. Soldier Killed Herself +Psychologists in Denial About Torture

father brown adam at diamat.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 17:47:22 BST 2007

01:00 PM GERALD ALI wrote:

> 3 items >>>

> * Psychologists in Denial About Torture
> * U.S. Soldier Killed Herself
> * Recruiting For Iraq War Undercut in Puerto Rico

   Another 3 >>>

* Purple Hearts
   http://www.nytimes.com/slides...index.html

* Broken Covenant
   http://www.brokencovenant.org.uk/

* War Psychiatry and Iraq Atrocities : How Killing Becomes a Reflex
   By Penny Coleman
   08/23/07 AlterNet

   In 1971, Lt. William Calley was sentenced to life in prison for his
   role in the massacre of some 500 civilians in the Vietnamese hamlet of
   My Lai. In response to Calley's conviction, Vietnam Veterans Against
   the War (VVAW) convened the *Winter Soldier Investigation*. Over a
   three-day period, more than a hundred veterans testified to atrocities
   they had witnessed committed by U.S. troops against Vietnamese
   civilians. Their expressed intention was to demonstrate that My Lai
   was not unique, that it was instead the inevitable result of U.S.
   policy. It was a travesty of justice, they claimed, to focus blame on
   the soldiers when it was the policy makers, McNamara, Bundy, Rostow,
   Johnson, LeMay, Nixon and the others who were truly responsible for
   the war crimes that had been committed.

   In 2004, the release of the Abu Grahib photographs broke the
   unforgivable silence in the mainstream press about atrocities
   committed by American soldiers in Iraq. Haditha followed, then
   Mahmoudiyah, Ishaqi, and at this writing, countless other instances of
   savage, homicidal violence directed at civilians have been reported.
   The July 30 issue of the Nation included an article, *The Other War*,
   by Chris Hedges and Laila Al-Arian, which used interviews with 50
   combat veterans to make the case that American soldiers are using
   indiscriminate and often lethal force in their dealings with Iraqi
   civilians. These veterans, the authors report, have

      "returned home deeply disturbed
       by the disparity between the reality of the war
       and the way it is portrayed by the U.S. government
       and American media."

   I would wager that they are more deeply disturbed by the reality
   itself than the way the media reports it, but certainly government and
   media distortions are another layer of betrayal. In a letter
   protesting that article, Paul Rieckhoff, president of the anti-war
   organization Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, made an
   argument parallel to that of VVAW, namely that

         "(a)nyone who wants to write a serious piece
          about the ethical lapses of the U.S. troops
          should start and end the article
          by putting blame where it belongs --

             on the politicians who sent our troops to war
             unprepared and without a clear mission"
                              (the Nation, 7/13/07).

   I'm not suggesting that American soldiers take no responsibility for
   their actions. Like Rieckhoff, I would argue that we must balance
   outrage at criminal and sadistic acts with the insistence that we

             "guard against blaming this new generation of veterans
              for the terrible and tragic circumstances [that led to
              those acts.] "

   And I agree that, once again, the architects have been given a free
   pass and that the soldiers, who are doing exactly what they have been
   trained to do, are taking the blame. But I want to focus on an aspect
   of the situation that is never addressed in the mainstream media, and
   not often enough elsewhere: specifically that American troops are
   trained to act in criminal and sadistic ways.

   Military training has been part of the experience of millions of young
   American men since the Revolutionary War. Prior to the Vietnam era,
   however, that training consisted largely of practicing military skills
   and learning to manage military equipment. It is only in the last half
   century that training has evolved into an entirely new phenomenon that
   makes use of the principles of operant conditioning to overcome what
   studies done over the last century have consistently demonstrated,
   namely, that healthy human beings have an inherent aversion to killing
   others of their own species.

   Operant conditioning holds that organisms, including human beings,
   move through their environment rather haphazardly until they encounter
   a reinforcing stimulus. The experience of that stimulus becomes
   associated in memory with the behavior that immediately preceded it.
   In other words, a behavior is followed by a consequence, and the
   nature of the consequence, reward or punishment, modifies the
   organism's tendency to repeat the behavior. Today's recruits are
   intentionally and methodically subjected to a training regimen that is
   explicitly designed to turn them into reflexive killers. And it is
   very effective. It is also carefully concealed. The military would
   prefer to keep their methods out of sight because of the moral and
   ethical discussions, not to mention the legal restraints, which public
   scrutiny and constitutional debate might impose. Or so I would like to
   believe.

   War Psychiatry, the army's textbook on combat trauma, notes that

       "pseudospeciation,
        the ability of humans and some other primates
        to classify certain members of their own species as 'other,'
        can neutralize the threshold of inhibition
        so they can kill conspecifics."

   Modern military training has developed carefully sequenced and
   choreographed elements of what many would call brainwashing to
   disconnect recruits from their civilian identities. The values,
   standards and behaviors they have absorbed over a lifetime from their
   families, schools, religions and communities are scorned and punished.
   Using cruelty, humiliation, degradation and cognitive disorientation,
   recruits are reprogrammed with an entirely new set of learned
   becomes reflexive. Operant conditioning has vastly improved the
   efficacy of American soldiers, at least by military standards. It has
   proven to be a reliable way to turn off the switch that controls a
   soldier's inherent aversion to killing. American soldiers do kill more
   often and more efficiently. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, author of On
   Killing, calls this form of training

        "psychological warfare,
         [but] psychological warfare conducted not upon the enemy,
         but upon one's own troops."

   The psychological warfare that is being conducted on today's recruits
   is a truly disturbing indication of the worldview of our leadership,
   both military and political. The group identity they are drilling into
   these kids, the "insider" identity, is based on explicit contempt not
   only for the declared enemy of the week, but for the entire civilian
   population, with a special emphasis on women and homosexuals. In an
   army that is now 15 percent female and who knows (don't ask, don't
   tell) what percentage gay, drill instructors still rely on labels like
   "girl" or "pussy," "lady" or "fairy" to humiliate, degrade and
   ultimately exact conformity. Recruits are drilled with marching chants
   that privilege their relationships with their weapons over their
   relationships with women

       ("you used to be my beauty queen,
         now I love my M-16"),

   or that overtly conflate sex and violence

       ("this is my rifle,
         this is my gun;
         this is for fighting,
         this is for fun.").

   Aside from teaching these kids to quash their innate feelings about
   killing in general, they are being programmed with a distorted version
   of not only what it means to be a man, but of what it means to be a
   citizen. To ascend to the warrior class, one must learn to despise and
   distrust all that is not military. Chaim Shatan, a psychiatrist who
   worked with Vietnam-era veterans, described this transformative
   process as deliberate, as opposed to capricious, sadism, "whose
   purpose is to inculcate obedience to command."

   There are any number of ways that modern training methods both support
   violence, aggression and obedience and help to disconnect a reflex
   action from its moral, ethical, spiritual or social implications, but
   one of the best illustrations of this process is the marching chants,
   or "jodies," as they are known in the services. "Jody" is the
   derivative of an African-American work song about Joe de Grinder, a
   devilish ladies' man who is at home making time with the soldier's
   girlfriend while the soldier is stuck in the war

      ("ain't no use in going home;
        Jody's on your telephone").

   According to the military, jodies build morale while distracting
   attention from monotonous, often strenuous, exertion. The following,
   originally a product of the Vietnam era, has been resurrected for
   training purposes in every war since and is an example of the kind of
   morale building that has been judged appropriate to the formation of
   an American soldier:

                Shell the town and kill the people.
                Drop the napalm in the square.
                Do it on a Sunday morning
                While they're on their way to prayer.

                Aim your missiles at the schoolhouse.
                See the teacher ring the bell.
                See the children's smiling faces
                As their schoolhouse burns to hell

                Throw some candy to the children.
                Wait till they all gather round.
                Then you take your M-16 now
                And mow the little fuckers down.

   Thankfully, the brainwashing has not yet been developed that will
   override the humanity of most American soldiers. According to the
   troops interviewed in the Nation, the kind of psychotic brutality
   described in the marching cadence above is indulged by only a
   minority. Still, they described atrocities committed against civilians
   as "common" -- and almost never punished. As multiple deployments
   become the norm, however, and as more scrambled psyches are sent back
   into combat instead of into treatment, it is frightening to consider
   that the brainwashing may yet prevail. Given the training to which
   these soldiers have been subjected and the chaotic conditions in which
   they find themselves, it is inevitable that more will succumb to fear
   and rage and frustration. They will inevitably be overwhelmed by
   cumulative doses of horror, and they will lose control of their
   judgment and their compassion. Thirty-six years ago, American veterans
   tried to cut through the smoke and mirrors of the official response to
   civilian atrocities, the version that scapegoated soldiers and ignored
   those who gave the orders. As then Lt. John Kerry put it,

         "We could hold our silence;
          we could not tell what went on in Vietnam,
          but we feel [that it is] not reds,
          and not redcoats [that threaten this country],
          but the crimes which we are committing."

   The soldiers who, following orders, have run over children in the
   road rather than slow down their convoy will never be the same again,
   regardless of whether government and the media tell the truth. Nor
   will the soldiers manning checkpoints who shoot, as ordered, and kill
   entire families who failed to stop, only to learn later that no one
   had bothered to share with them that the American signal to stop -- a
   hand held up, palm towards the oncoming vehicle -- to an Iraqi means,

             "Hello, come here."

   I have heard a number of the men cited in the Nation article speak
   about their combat experiences, and they are tormented by what they
   saw and did. They want to tell their stories, not because they are
   looking for absolution, but because they want to believe that
   Americans want to know. But neither are they willing to take the
   blame.

   They have already carried home the psychic wounds and the dangerous
   reflexive habits of violence that will always diminish their lives and
   their relationships. In return, they are hoping we will listen to them
   this time when they ask us to look a little harder, dig a little
   deeper, use a little more discernment. Or have we already arrived at a
   point in our collective moral development when, as Shatan predicted,

   "Like Eichmann, we … consider evil to be banal and routine?"

    [[ Penny Coleman is the widow of a Vietnam veteran who took his own
       life after coming home. Her latest book, Flashback: Posttraumatic
       Stress Disorder, Suicide and the Lessons of War, was released on
       Memorial Day, 2006. Her blog is called Flashback ]]

-- fb.

   "I should hardly have thought, sir ..." -- he said --
   "that you had any quarrel with mystical explanations."

       "On the contrary..." --replied Father Brown,
                              blinking amiably at him --
       "That's just why I can quarrel with 'em.
        Any sham lawyer could bamboozle me,
        but he couldn't bamboozle you;
        because you're a lawyer yourself.

        Any fool could dress up as a Red Indian
        and I'd swallow him whole as the only original Hiawatha;
        but Mr Crake would see through him at once.

        A swindler could pretend to me that he knew all about aeroplanes,
        but not to Captain Wain.

        And it's just the same with the other,
        don't you see?
        It's just because I have picked up a little about mystics
        that I have no use for mystagogues.
        Real mystics don't hide mysteries,
        they reveal them.
        They set a thing up in broad daylight,
        and when you've seen it it's still a mystery.
        But the mystagogues hide a thing in darkness and secrecy,
        and when you find it,
        it's a platitude."