[ssf] Fwd: Political and Social Participation, Inclusion & Exclusion in the 21st Century - An Urban Myth or Virtual Reality

Jason lejasonman at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:40:23 BST 2007

Political and Social Participation, Inclusion & Exclusion in the 21st
Century - An Urban Myth or Virtual Reality

Democratic Dictatorship ?
I s  i t  t o o  l a t e  t o  s t o p  t h e  r o t ?

Join us at our FREE Event at Showroom 5, The Showroom, Paternoster
Row, Sheffield S1 2BZ
on Tuesday, 2nd October 2007 from 4.30pm - 7.00pm

Plus FREE fully-staffed creche*, refreshments and help with transport
costs for disabled people*

***********

We are privileged and excited to be joined by keynote speakers in
order of appearance:

Nick Clegg MP and Liberal Democrat Shadow Home Secretary

Rose Ardron, current Chair of New Deal for Communities Board

Lisa Watchorn, Regional Director of Dimensions UK Ltd

Perry Walker, Head of Democracy & Participation for leading think tank
and registered Charity, the New Economics Foundation

***********

Chat informally with Nick Clegg MP, the Liberal Democrat Shadow Home
Secretary and all our keynote speakers from 4.30pm

Event Registration from 4.30pm

Action for Involvement, an independent forum to share and air your
views on the issues of political inclusion, participation and
exclusion, invites you to share your  concerns with us and our
outstanding panel of speakers who will address the key issues
affecting our daily lives of:

* Corporate enforcement, regulation, compliance and value for money

* Public Sector effectiveness: accountability, governance, transparency

* The extent that local authorities empower people in the communities
the authorities serve

Keynote speakers in order of appearance

Nick Clegg MP and the Liberal Democrat Shadow Home Secretary will
explore the practicalities of the Government giving people more power
over their daily lives.

Rose Ardron, who has lived in Burngreave for 33 years and decided to
get involved, will discuss how to do so effectively.

Lisa Watchorn, Regional Director of Dimensions UK Ltd, will then
explore how we can include people with learning difficulties and
special needs in our local communities.

Perry Walker, Head of Democracy & Participation of leading think tank
and registered charity, the New Economics Foundation will discuss his
work on involving communities and launch our debate with the vital
question:

How do we get people started?