[ssf] Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

hawala adam at diamat.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 14:50:45 GMT 2009

VIENNA: The United Nations' crime and drug watchdog has indications that
money made in illicit drug trade has been used to keep banks afloat in
the global financial crisis, its head was quoted as saying on Sunday.

Vienna-based UNODC Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa said in an
interview released by Austrian weekly Profil that drug money often
became the only available capital when the crisis spiralled out of
control last year.

"In many instances, drug money is currently the only liquid investment
capital," Costa was quoted as saying by Profil. "In the second half of
2008, liquidity was the banking system's main problem and hence liquid
capital became an important factor."

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime had found evidence that
"interbank loans were funded by money that originated from drug trade
and other illegal activities," Costa was quoted as saying. There were
"signs that some banks were rescued in that way."

Profil said Costa declined to identify countries or banks which may have
received drug money and gave no indication how much cash might be
involved. He only said Austria was not on top of his list, Profil said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2009/01/25/europe/OUKWD-UK-FINANCIAL-UN-DRUGS.php

--     Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Fighting always last answer to problem.

     Daniel LaRusso: No offense, Mr Miyajee, but I don't think you
                     understand my problem...

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: [interrupting] Mi... ya... gi... understand
                           problem perfect. Your friend, all karate
                           student, eh?

     Daniel LaRusso: Friend? Oh, yeah, those guys.

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Problem: attitude.

     Daniel LaRusso: No the problem is, I'm getting my ass kicked every
                     other day, that's the problem.

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Because boys have bad attitude. Karate for
                           defense only.

     Daniel LaRusso: That's not what these guys are taught.

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Hai - can see. No such thing as bad student,
                           only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.

     Daniel LaRusso: Oh, great, that solves everything for me. I'll just
                     go down to the school and straighten it out with the
                     teacher, no problem.

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Now use head for something other than target.

     Daniel LaRusso: Hey, I was just kidding about that.

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Why kidding?

     Daniel LaRusso: Because I'll get killed if I go down there.

        Mr. Kesuke Miyagi: Get killed anyway.