[syfaslane365] Parliamentary hearings on future of UK nuclear weapons

Bob Banks bob.banks at tribaltechnology.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 23:20:31 BST 2006

The house of commons select committee on defence is currenly holding
hearings on the
"future of the UK strategic nuclear deterrent".
The transcripts and papers for the first meeting are at:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmdfence/uc98
6-i/uc98601.htm

And video / audio for all 3 is available by going to
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/, clicking on "archive" and searching on
"defence" for the period of march.

Not for everyone - these debates on the logic of nuclear weapons have an
Alice in Wonderland quality - but I guess the parliamentary decision
making process is one important factor.  And I must admit, I find it one
of the wonders of the internet that you can watch / hear, unedited, the
minutiae of these discusssions.

(And, whilst the government alleges that it has made no decisions about
the future of UK nuclear weapons, it has allocated a billion pounds over
the next 3 years, to build "replacement" weapons-building / testing
facilities at Aldermaston. And this activity is now in full swing - see
e.g http://www.blockthebuilders.org.uk/

Best wishes,
Bob

This message has been scanned for viruses by Viatel MailControl