[AktiviX] Acceptable use policy for lists

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Mon Jul 12 22:35:42 UTC 2004

Quoting mp <mp at fsc.cc>:

> hi all,
>
> -i agree to using the AUP from riseup.net as is for now and then suggest
> that we create a list of such basic matters that we can quickly,
> formally agree to at AktiviX II meeting.

I'm not going to disagree to the AUP as it stands...

but .. its rather inflexible

particulary
"The list is of a radical or progressive nature. We do not approve lists which
are of a personal, hobby, or commercial nature. We do not provide purely
cultural or educational lists. Examples of lists which are outside our mission
might include lists for college classes or majors, lists for upcoming music
shows, lists for the general discussion of religion, etc."

personally I find definitions of "radical or progressive nature" difficult and
and generally counterproductive.

Also the prohibition of "lists for upcoming music shows" and the general
cultural / political split is also difficult for me.  For instance a free
festival email list could be denied under such conditions.

We should eschew such complex linguistic definitions.  I prefer the FOAF
protocol.  My personal opinion is as below.

"23:12 < bone_idol> process to apply for lists ??
23:12 < bone_idol> mmm
23:12 -!- ana [irc at localhost] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
23:12 -!- ana [irc at localhost] has joined #aktivix
23:14 < ana> bone_idol, yes...
23:14 < ana> maybe would need to set up one?
23:21 < bone_idol> ana: yes maybe there should be
23:21 < bone_idol> this where friend of a friend protocol really helps
23:22 < ana> you think?
23:22 < ana> well obviously, otherwise you wouldn't have said ;-)
23:22 < ana> but do we want it that close?
23:22 < ana> and that open at the same time/
23:22 < ana> ?
23:23 < bone_idol> i have no answers ;-)
23:23 < ana> hahahaha
23:23 < ana> ok
23:24 < bone_idol> but if you know somebody who knows sonebody who wants
something it sort of keeps things manageable!
23:24 < bone_idol> I just read the riseup AUP
23:25 < ana> a u policy?
23:25 < bone_idol> acceptable use
23:25 < ana> sounds applicable but it is certainly not on a friend of a friend
basis...
23:25 < ana> i quite like taht approach, really
23:25 < ana> especially manageable
23:27  * bone_idol putting child in bed brb
23:34 < bone_idol> I must declare some interests in machinery that aktivix lists
server lives on
23:34 < bone_idol> machine is springnight.burngreave.net
23:34 < bone_idol> which is owned by Burngreave Community Action Trust
23:35 < bone_idol> its used to develop our community Information Network
23:35 < bone_idol> and hosts email / web sites / and stuff
23:35 < bone_idol> also .. it allows the admins on it
23:36 < bone_idol> r7 and bone_idol at the moment.. but others will come along
23:36 < bone_idol> to develop skills and do stuff
23:37 < bone_idol> as it hosts all our email I would prefer it that email is not
abused
23:38 < bone_idol> so the machine becomes spam listed
23:38 < bone_idol> so the sections in the riseup AUP about spam are relevant ?
23:38 < bone_idol> http://help.riseup.net/lists/policy/
23:40 < bone_idol> currently the machines costs are funded / donated
23:40 < bone_idol> ( actually all donated at the moment)
23:42 < bone_idol> but if a list was to a significant amount of the machines
resources
23:45 < bone_idol> some form of donation woulod be useful
23:53 < bone_idol> but
23:53 < bone_idol> as to
23:53 < bone_idol> getting lists application
23:54 < bone_idol> how about proposed and seconded with no dissent to
aktivix at lists.aktivix.org"