[AktiviX] Acceptable use policy for lists

max max at tofubandits.org.uk
Tue Jul 13 10:20:46 UTC 2004

hi all

> I'm not going to disagree to the AUP as it stands...
> but .. its rather inflexible
>
> particulary
> "The list is of a radical or progressive nature. We do not approve lists
> which are of a personal, hobby, or commercial nature. We do not provide
> purely cultural or educational lists. Examples of lists which are outside
> our mission might include lists for college classes or majors, lists for
> upcoming music shows, lists for the general discussion of religion, etc."
>
> personally I find definitions of "radical or progressive nature" difficult
> and and generally counterproductive.

yes - this is a point. but nevertheless i do agree that the services should be
reserved for 'radical' (whatever that is) causes. for me (i appreciate this
may not be the same for everyone) aktivix is about tech and radical activism.

that doesn't mean we have to exclude all other things, but we should make
clear that we're not a service for everyone who wants a mailing list etc.
saying 'radical and progressive' is one way, (and personally i like it, but
am open to suggestions).

since radical means something different to everyone (for me it means seeking
to change the fundamental status quo/way of doing things), i'd suggest we
just delete the examples and the "purely cultural or educational lists" bit.

> Also the prohibition of "lists for upcoming music shows" and the general
> cultural / political split is also difficult for me.  For instance a free
> festival email list could be denied under such conditions.
not necessarily. i see free festivals as challenging the control mechanisms of
the state by bypassing them (whether it's permits etc, or just the control of
money). so they can be interpreted as 'radical' :-)

at the end of the day, if we're prepared to be flexible and tolerant of each
others definitions, but clear that we are mainly there for 'activisty' type
things, then i'm cool with any formulation.

> We should eschew such complex linguistic definitions.  I prefer the FOAF
> protocol.
what is the FOAF protocol? can we have a link or paste job?

cheers

max