[g8-sheffield] Terror n torture

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Mon Mar 21 11:17:04 GMT 2005

Yes, they use terrorism as a justification for war, oppression, and
keeping us in fear.  ("Of course the people don't want war... etc")

My point is - none of this changes that fact that there is, in fact, a
terrorist threat.  (One year on from the Madrid bombings, who would deny
the threat still exists?  Except perhaps a few folk who think
governments would bomb their own citizens for political capital?  I
personally think we should get as far away from such conspiracy theories
as humanly possible.)

And of course, there's a blurring of the line between terrorism and
'violent protest' (as the Star predicts will happen in June.)  Which is
why we need to be all the sharper in making the distinctions crystal
clear - to the media especially.

Going about shouting "bush, blair, CIA, how many kids did you kill
today?" ain't gonna do that.

The cordon in Derby checked a top official of the World Bank several
times before he got through.  Cars and personnel were all checked
thoroughly.

The police need a strategy for both making sure they do everything to
stop a bomb attack - and however unlikely, it's not impossible - as well
as containing protestors.  If I were in charge of policing such an
event, protestors would be the least of my worries.

I'm not saying it's a good thing - I'm just saying it's a thing!  And
replying, 'they need terrorism to justify permanent war' still does
nothing to actually address the fact of that terrorism, or the use of it
to engender more fear.

*This* is what I'm saying we have to imagine some way of dealing with -
along with shining a light (as much as we can) on things like the global
torture network / arms fairs in London / erosion of civil liberties...

And I'd also say that the global oil system is much more heavily
dependent on the fact that people continue to buy cars, and our goods
transport continues to need oil.  If you got rid of the fear, I don't
think anyone would be casting off their vehicles suddenly, or that we'd
need our ocean and road goods networks any less, to keep ourselves kept
in the style to which we're accustomed.

p.s. I'm more sort of arguing with myself here - just openly trying to
find some ways through to make June something different.  It's a very,
very rare chance that won't come again.  The spirit of the War or Terror
is coming to visit!  What are we going to do?

It seems to me that Derby has made a few people say, 'well - we don't
just want to end up in a protest pen!'

But equally, the vital thing about protest - however 'successful' - has
always been to make it clear to all that there *is* opposition.  We need
to do something.  So - what are we going to do?

Dan
----