[matilda] gig reports

Joe Public iloveavocado at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 11:49:21 BST 2006

Ok, so Monday night was Battle Royale, The Process and Threads. Threads were
my favourite - they surprised me by being kind of rock n roll, people were
heckling with quotes from that Guitar Wolf film that Gav showed at Matilda
months ago - excellent. The Process and Battle Royale were enjoyable too
although a bit metal for my liking. We cooked for the band and any punters
who were hungry beforehand - the gig-collective's copylefted Thai Coconut
Soup went down a storm. The good thing about bands travelling through on
tour is that you can feed them all the same dish and its new to every band.
Battle Royale drove on to Leeds at the end of the night but The Process
stopped at Pancho and Chris's, apparently Pancho only got 2 hours sleep so
it appears that the party continued.

Tuesday night was Itch, Rotary 10, My Psychoanalyst and Alex Kid. I have to
admit that I got carried away in a meeting upstairs and ended up chatting
the entire night, leaving Nick, Helene and Chris to do all the work. I'm a
team player like that. Attendance seemed to be good but a couple of band
members seemed keen to distance themselves from anti-G8 agitprop pasted on
the walls. Call me pedantic, but announcing that a gig is 'non-political'
when it's taking place in a building that was squatted as part of anti-G8
activities, in a gig space run by anarchists seems almost... ironic. We're
planning to paint BURN THE RICH behind the stage for the next gig. Perhaps.

That's the latest news, but we've got plenty coming up. This weekend sees
Sheffield's Punks' Picnic, which we're hosting on Saturday. We hope to have
a cafe/ sit around place up in Club Seals, with the bands playing in the
Eurocrust room. Then next Tuesday we're putting on a film night, showing the
hilarious EDGE OF QUARREL. Details are up on the website, I'd highly
recommend it, not least because there will be food and cake. Cake seems to
go down well at gigs - we're thinking of making flyers that miss off the
bands and just say 'CAKE. MATILDA. MONDAY. 7pm', reckon we'd get as good
turnouts.

Electric Blanket return at the end of next week, then I Adapt (from Iceland,
how activist zeitgeist is that?) on Sunday.

As ever, we always welcome help on the bar, or just Matilda folk to come and
see the space in use. Anyone want to plan a benefit? Want to start putting
on post-rooibos-core gigs? Want to see me trying to dance to undanceable
noise? We're here...

That's all, see you around M

Kathleen