[matilda] Fwd: in, out, shake it all about

nickwiltsher at warpmail.net nickwiltsher at warpmail.net
Thu Apr 13 12:13:49 BST 2006

Perhaps one reason why fewer people use the email list is we're all so
damn touchy...

"Hangers-on":
     Dan, I think Cuthbert was perfectly justified to say that
the events email is primarily for the benefit of "hangers-on".  It goes
to well over a hundred people, of whom maybe 20 have had any active
involvement at all in Matilda.  Saying it's for the benefit of those who
just want to come to events (hangers-on) doesn't mean he was
perjoratively lumping suchlikes as you in the same category.

Also Dan:
     your curry night was very good and i'd personally be most
happy if you did another.

Insiders/outsiders:
     It's difficult to see where this started.  I think
we all realise that some people simply have more time than others that
they can spend at/for matilda.  That shouldn't, surely, mean that those
with less time resent those with more, or vice versa.   I think most
collectives do OK at saying what they're up to, and i don't think the
collectives structure is a hinderance to that.  In fact, it should be
easier to feel involved this way; you can be represented at a meeting
without being there yourself, by your collective's spoke.  bringing me
to:

Monday meetings:
     perhaps aren't being run eactly to the model, and
probably because we're all too polite, if facilitating, to start the
meeting by saying "who are you the spoke for? No collective? then you
can't speak".  Also because people new to matilda still seem to see/be
told monday meetings are a good place to start.  Which they ain't.

E-mail:
    whilst i appreciate that some find it easier to keep in touch
with things electronically, I think it's unreasonable to expect
everything to be discussed and reported on this list.  Many matilda
people use email infrequently, if ever, and i don't see why they should
be obliged to do so.  In fact, sporadic use of email can be problematic,
viz:

Galleries/art collectives:
    here we have an obtuse presentation of one
side of a story - Amp's clearly unhappy about something... what? why?
Becuase the gallery collective don't email much, we don't know.  All we
get is an impression of strife that could be probably easily avoided.
Although:

0742:
     I think saying 'Matilda isn't working' is a bit strong; occasional
disputes are nothing new or suprising, and evidence perhaps that people
care (though the over salination of your food was pretty nasty work).
Also:

who's doing stuff:
     true, the gig and gallery colls are making fantastic
use of the space. But saying they're the only people making anything
worthwhile happen is just silly.  building, cafe, no M1, circa, hacklab
colls have all made stuff happen recently.  Then there's the seemingly
nascent seminar/library coll.  All in all, i think we're doing OK.

Jesus, what a rant. sorry.  I hadn't checked my email for a few days and
got carried away trying to answer everybody.  Keep on keepin on and i'll
see you all next week...

love all

http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different