[matilda] how about a food co-op?

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 15:16:51 GMT 2006

>> Erm, I don't get it. Why would anyone buy from us with a 10% markup
>> instead of just going direct to Lembas?

dan> For the same reason they buy it from Beanies or that place on Sharrow Vale Road,
dan> or Zeds, for more than a 10% markup.

Yeah but they're all established businesses, open 6 days per week,
with shop fronts in well used neighbourhood shopping areas.

Lembas has free parking, open 5 days, has a huge selection and is well
known about (and cheaper).

I think to get people to go out of their way and to come into Matilda
to buy stuff is going to be very difficult. It's dark, has no shop
front and is well away from the main shopping bits of Sheffield. And
with limited opening hours (say one day per week) shoppers are going
to have to make a very special visit to go there. I think to entice
people in we're really going to need some very special offers or a
unique selling incentive. I can't think what that could be but
whatever it was it would have to be pretty damn good to offset all the
negative aspects Matilda has as a shopping venue.

steve