[AktiviX] Desktop Integration Bounty Hunt

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Mon Nov 24 08:15:24 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 08:33:39AM +0000, j.martin.pedersen forwarded:

And here's another one!

http://www.opensourcexperts.com/

>From the tour and FAQ it looks great - I am just about to
sign up. (Hmm should I sign up Comm-Tech as an organisational
solutions provider, or just myself? Decisions, decisions...)

3 reasons why this looks better than the other similar sites
(the GNOME bounty hunt is not a similar site, because there are
no contracts therefore no guarantee that you will be the one who
gets paid - if 100 people write the same code only 1 gets paid
and all the others work for nothing).

1. It's open source *only* - no wading through
tons of requests to do with Microsoft SQL Server / IIS / Access etc.

2. Payments to you are made in advance and held in escrow (that means the
OpenSourceExperts company keep the money for you) - that will
probably deter fraudsters (and students wanting help with their homework
who want to pay 5 pounds or less, like you see on other sites).
Minimum payment is 1 Euro (plus transaction fees).

3. They provide, for free, useful stuff like invoicing and calendaring
services - everything is free for solution providers,
they make money by taking 10% of each transaction.

They currently have 250 people or organisations registered.

I dunno about you lot but I'm very enthused about the idea of getting
paid to work on open source, so I'll check it out and report back my
experiences in a few months.

(I also am in contact with another organisation that is going to start
a similar thing, but they have not advanced as far along as OpenSourceExperts
have yet.)

--
Robin

"it's FREE and we get the ability to modify the source code ourselves,
something that is extremely dangerous to do, was discredited decades ago..."
 - Howard Strauss writing in Syllabus magazine
  http://www.syllabus.com/article.asp?id=8460