[AktiviX] list reply-to munging / wiki reuse restriction

Space Bunny lists at j12.org
Thu Sep 25 17:43:15 UTC 2003

Paul M wrote:

>Can we get the Reply-To header set to the list rather than the
>individual sending the email?

well I surpose set up as is as it gives choice of using reply or reply
to all

see links to debate on this in my message to another list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ambit@mediascot.org/msg00902.html

Paul M wrote:

>Are any of the creative commons licences acceptable? For preference I
>use the creative commons share alike licence:
>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0/
>which allows free(in the free software sense) reuse and distribution but
>imposes a GPL like licencing condition if you alter it - specifically:
>
>If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the
>resulting work only under a license identical to this one.

I think the CC licences are usefull in many cases but not this.

I have suggested there use for Indymedia at:
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/FreeDistro

Of course you are free to set up a wiki based on CC and take material
from this wiki but one won't be able to transfer the other way.

Also one could take material from my wiki and incorporate in Wikipedia,
but you would have to use a double license with GNU FDL  on one you
propose. Then maybe multiple licensing like chris (
http://chris.croome.net/copyright.html ) does with his photos but what
about all those psuedo copyleft self made licenses that people use on
books coming out our activist scene.

Basically if the wiki gets big, valuable and a danger of Random House or
the like incorportaing into copyrighted book out of it. I we could make
a derivative copy on new website, and close old one and declare
copyright and add copyleft license. Of course the old PD version could
be recover after a year or so  at http://web.archive.org, or sooner from
google cache.

But I am not going to worry about it for that wiki.
http://ourmayday.org
PD is easy to understand.

Basically I don't give toss about breaking copyright myself, I don't
want to worry people about saying they can re use stuff but they must
have a machince readable copy etc.

That wiki is going to be a very free flowing. There is no fancy features
like watching a page ( email notify if changed ) , so can not be quick
to revert the page with CC  license if altered which it cn not be but
could just point to static copy but then whole wiki thing breaks down. I
like fact that every thing can be changed and result is democracy of
time and effort spent but users.

Years ago, once on another project where I felt obliged to spend a week
removing stuff from web archive where authors did not want to be give
away as part of Zion Train cdrom, but all a waste of time in end wrong
version was used and stuff went in anyway, but no one bothered to sue
China Records. Of course if we had used copyleft maybe it could have
gone in as is but maybe not. With PD I can be sure it can be used in
anyway I wish and contirbutors hopefully understand that.

I have loads of other practical reasons, senarios buzzing around my head

btw I am looking forward to book trailered here:

http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/

out this year on GNU Press.

cheers,

Space Bunny