[AktiviX-discuss] AktiviX Community Colo Idea...

chip chiapas at riseup.net
Wed Dec 8 15:37:53 UTC 2004

Chris said:
> Hi

hi

<snippetty>

> It would be very cool to do something like this in the UK
> and with prices like this in Manchester:
>
>   full 47u rack with 1Mb/second Internet bandwidth from
>   £400 per month inclusive
>
>   http://www.internetf.co.uk/

£350/month with these peeps

http://www.core-isp.net/

the above company do an 11U 'starter' package for £150/month, free set-up,
and you get 2Mb/s - might be a better option initially.

> It seems doable to me -- in the US they charge $50 per 1U
> per month, we could set it at £50 per 1U per month...

and make a massive profit  ;o)

which would be ploughed back into the infrastructure, of course...

£350+ per month plus VAT is a lot to commit to, innit.  i suppose 10
people prepared to pay the necessary to get the the enterprise up to speed
might be feasible.

> Of coures a lot of stuff would need to be sorted, probably
> including setting up a limited liability company etc...
> Some idea around this have been knocked about by
> Indymedia:
>
>   http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Local/UkLegalConstitution
>
> If we want to go for it there is a howto here we could
> follow :-)
>
>   http://www.communitycolo.org/starting.php

sounds like a lot of work but could be fun.

chip
--
http://sheffield.indymedia.org.uk