[AktiviX] Media Hacklab work days and benefit

Asa Winstanley asa at youthwise.org
Tue Jan 13 16:20:40 UTC 2004

A new Media Hacklab is getting started in the east end of London.
Based at the Freedom Press bookshop and social centre, it will
be an open access computer lab with internet access. Going
beyond the preponderance of internet cafes, a Hacklab is a
political space used for alternative media, the use and
development of free software and other emancepatory techologies,
skill sharing and collective learning, community projects and
anything else we can organise. The projects that happen there
will depend on the commitment of those involved.

At the last open meeting on Saturday the 10th we discussed what
we need to do to get the Hacklab off the ground. Two work
weekends and a benefit are now planned:

* Saturday 17th Jan: Hardware reception/collection and room work.
Between 1 and 6pm there will be people in the lab able to take
reception of donated hardware. So if you have any old PCs,
monitors, hard drives or any other spare computers or parts to
give away, please bring them on this day. If you don't have
hardware to donate, please pass the message on. Help from
techies and non-techies alike is needed this on this day. If you
are in the London area and can not drop hardware off, please let
us know (contact details below) and we will try to arange
someone to collect them on the day. We will also be using this
day to finish off work on the infastructure of the room: tables,
shelves etc. So anyone with DIY skills is also welcome!

* Sunday 18th Jan: Benefit film night, cafe and bar, at new
social centre: 93 Fortess Rd, Kentish Town, NW5. Starts 8pm
(please come at 4pm if you want to help organise). Two min. walk
from Kentish Town Tube, Bus 134.

Films:
* Fourth World War (an epic tale about the global emancipatory
movement)
* Richard Stallman: "Freedom and Technology"
* Indymedia Euro Newsreal
* PLUS... Cartoons!

There will also be food, Cuban Rum cocktails, a cheap bar and
Zapatista coffee.

Admission: Free/Donation. Or donate a computer or some hardware.

* Sat and Sun 24/25th Jan, 1-6pm. Installation and networking
weekend. Bring tools, CDs, etc. We should have working internet
access by this time. Anyone interested in learning computer
setup, OS installation, networking etc. should come along and
make themselves known and we can make it a time of skill
sharing.

Media Hacklab at Freedom Press Bookshop
http://www.freedompress.org.uk
Angel Alley, 84b Whitechapel High Street, London E1 7QX.
The alley is next to the KFC near Aldgate East tube, Whitechapel
Art allery exit.

http://www.hacklabs.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Freedom_Hacklab
http://www.wombles.org.uk/mediahacklab/mediahacklab.php