[AktiviX] The Economics of Open Source Software - Prospects, Pitfalls and Politics [tbm at cyrius.com]

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Jan 14 23:21:30 UTC 2004

Recd from another mailing list

The argument seems to lead to its final clause "promotion of open-source
software cannot be an economically justifiable role for the state" inexorabley,
but I'm sure there are a number of flaws in arguments.  It seems to paint the
software market in too broad brush strokes.

There was a letter in the Guardian Online magazine recently suggesting that the
BBC should open up the content management system it uses for bbc.co.uk, I
thought that was a good suggestion.

There must be analogies with other examples of technological change from
history.  Toll roads, sewers, broadcasting spring to mind.

I guess that this is just a blast from those who have grown rich on software as
a  luxury, seek to prevent their hold on its utility being eroded.

> MICROSOFT RESEARCH LECTURE
> This is a PUBLIC lecture
> ________________________________
>
> TITLE: The Economics of Open Source Software - Prospects, Pitfalls and
> Politics
> SPEAKER: Dr Stefan Kooths
> INSTITUTION: University of Muenster
> HOST: Alexander Braendle, University Relations
> DATE: 15 January 2004
> TIME: 13:30 - 14:30
> MEETING ROOM: Lecture Theatre
> ADDRESS: Microsoft Research Ltd, 7 J J Thomson Avenue (Off Madingley
> Road), Cambridge
>
> Open Source Software does not represent a suitable alternative to the
> commercial software market from an economic point of view, neither in
> terms of creating value-added nor in terms of economic efficiency. OSS
> does not create any new value-added potential, and offers only a
> fraction of the opportunities of the commercial market. The impact of
> OSS on sales and employment are therefore less than the effects of
> commercial software. Furthermore the de facto free availability of
> GPL-licensed software, and hence the lack of a market price, have
> far-reaching economic consequences that are elaborated in the
> presentation. As far as packaged software is concerned its free
> availability very much limits the creation of profits, income, jobs or
> taxes. The loss of turnover in the area of software sales cannot be
> fully recovered with services linked to the software. So-called
> complementary OSS-business models work in the smaller customized
> software sector only. The incomes earned there are substitutive and not
> additional to those created in the commercial software sector. The lack
> of cost-reflecting prices for GPL-licensed standard software also has
> consequences for the market process as the pricing mechanism is
> associated with an important information and coordination function in a
> market economy. If there is no price, and hence no decisive guide figure
> for a market, it is, for example, more difficult to identify customer
> requirements. Further problems can be identified when it comes to the
> allocation of resources, productivity-oriented factor compensation and
> incentives for innovations. The lower value-added potential and the
> reduced efficiency of coordination are weighty economic arguments. They
> demonstrate quite clearly that the promotion of open-source software
> cannot be an economically justifiable role for the state.

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla
 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality