[AktiviX-discuss] Re: GPL for the AktiviX wiki?

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jul 19 11:25:37 UTC 2004

On 2004-07-19 11:40:44 +0100 Chris <chris at aktivix.org> wrote:

> My question is -- is the GPL suitable for a site where
> most of the content is not software?

I think you mean "not programs" rather than "not software". Clearly,
the AktiviX wiki content is not hardware, firmware or wetware!

At the moment, some debian developers (including me) recommend using
the GPL (but think that you should state clearly which form is "the
preferred form for modification" or "Source" if it's at all
questionable) if you want a copyleft or the MIT/X11-style licence if
you don't want a copyleft. Many debian publications, including the
Developers Reference, are released under the GPL
http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/

The FDL has few fundamental problems, mostly relating to tethering
free software (the main document) to non-free software (the secondary
sections), but there are a few odd wording problems which I hope will
be ironed out in the next version.
http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html

The CC licences have a common problem in requiring you to delete all
appearances of the name of an author if they request it. In most
cases, that's not going to be a bug problem, but the potential is
there for some icky messes. Also, there's a practical problem with
most authors including the CC trademark terms as part of licences,
because of a presentational error that CC seem unwilling to fix. If
included, the trademark terms are an obvious problem.

So, you have those two licences, neither of which are free software
licences, while there are free software licences which can cover
writing.

My question is -- are the FDL and CC licences suitable for a site
where most of the content is about free software?

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast