[AktiviX-discuss] Re: GPL for the AktiviX wiki?

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jul 27 22:07:12 UTC 2004

On 2004-07-22 15:40:14 +0100 mp at fsc.cc wrote:

>>> Most of the claims otherwise seem to be muddling the
>>> ideas of form and function. [...]
> So form and content is now one in all cases?

No. I'm trying to make an opposite point. Arguing that something is
not software because it is documentation (or whatever), is confusing
form and content.

> The GPL applies to all possible kinds of information?

Not sure. Probably only literary works.

> The Creative Commons project is thus redundant, and, in
> effect, if we take this view on board also damaging to the wider
> "commons
> project"?

CC has a wider scope, so isn't redundant. Their current bugs which
exclude free software entirely from the 2.0 licences means that they
are damaging the wider commons at the moment, IMO.

> The four
> freedoms of free software talks about "programs"

Yep, that looks like a bug to me.

>>> Text can be software, the same as text can be ink on
>>> paper. It's just a form, an instance.
> ink is the form, the text is the content, I should think.

I agree entirely.

> The FSF seems to recommend GNU FDL for stuff like a Wiki

Again, that is a bug to me, relying on arbitrary distinctions between
types of text.