[AktiviX] Left Wing, Right Wing, and Free Software

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Sat Mar 6 18:50:18 UTC 2004

CC,
	Note that many people consider themselves virulently anti-racist
and right-wing - i.e. President Bush with his "multi-cultural" cabinet.
In fact, what I was pointing out that many people, RMS included, are
attracted to the Right by their defense of individual liberties.
"Empire" by Hardt & Negri gives an analysis of how the Right-wing has
incorporated anti-racism into its agenda. I personally kick
racists off things like Indymedia newswires, since any open
discussion requires a prerequisite of tolerance.

I consider the whole left-wing/right-wing division to be
politically pretty useless - after all, Stalin was "left" and Hitler was
"right", as many point out - although the original left-wing principles
are of course more attractive if properly presented. In the States we have
a saying "Neither Right nor Left but Straight Ahead" for anarchy, and interested parties
should check out the Post-Left Anarchism section on www.infoshop.org,
which is attempting to merge the various postmodern and poststructuralist
critiques of the traditional Left and Right with anarchism. Not very
popular in Britain but gaining lots of currency in the States where
the traditional Left is more or less dead, unlike here in Britain. I don't
consider either analysis to be "more right" but just differing ecological
niches for "anarchism" - i.e. anarcho-syndicalism has little going for it
in the States, but does so in Sweden due to their differing histories.

					-Harry