[AktiviX] searching for RMS quote (again)

mp mp at fsc.cc
Sat Mar 6 20:03:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 16:09, Asa Winstanley wrote:
> mp said:
> >
> > On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:33, Asa Winstanley wrote:
> >> Did you know that as a boy Stallman was politically right wing and
> >> chastised his mother for joining a teachers union because he
> >> thought they were corrupt?!
> >
> > Well, you dont have to be right-winger to arrive at that conclusion for
> > the majority and mainstream of unionisers ;-)
>
> I agree to an extent. The leadership, sure, but the majority of mainstream
> union members corrupt?

I am not sure if that is a reply to what I wrote, since it seems to be
addressing different issues, slightly.

I wrote majority AND mainstream, not the majority of the mainstream; and
I did so with explicit reference to unionERSERS, i.e., those who 'do the
organising on behalf of the members'. The representatives. The better
informed. The learned ones. Those who know what is good for you - and
what they think is good for you is a weekend to recreate yourself for
another week of exploitation. As far as i am aware there is VERY little
anarcho-syndicalist unionising in this world.. a bit in Spain maybe...

So, yes I uphold my position. These matters of course can be discussed
differently, but as Cohen wrote/sang .."..they sentenced me to 20 years
of boredom for trying to change the system from within..."

By structural implication, I should think, yes, they are corrupt per
definition. Perhaps not actively/aware of being/doing so.

>  That don't make sense.

No, it does not. That is my point...  ;-) But from "an" anachist
perspective the critique does make a lot of sense.

> Anyway, if you read that bit of the book... Let's just say it's clear he
> wasn't against the union for anarcho-syndicalist reasons!

That figures.