[AktiviX] [Politech] Hack the tech: a possible counter-RFID

Charlie Harvey charlie at peopleandplanet.org
Thu May 6 15:18:29 UTC 2004

 --8<--
| First, a small historical diversion: back in the 1980's, there were rumors
| that the NSA had a complete Usenet feed going into its data centers.
| In reaction, Usenet article authors began to include what were called
| "NSA fodder" in the headers and bodies of their articles; text strings like:
|
| 	Moscow nuke Iran Kremlin secret spy CIA transmission

I'm guessing that echelon is probably capable of some fairly complex
textual analysis these days though :-(

 --8<--
| 	1. Deny the data to the collectors.
| 	2. Give them all the data they could possibly hope for...
| 	   but fill it with so much noise that it's useless.
|
| In the case of RFID tags, so many people are all over their deployment
| that approach #1 may now be effectively impossible.

Never underestimate the power of the microwave oven where sensitive
electronics are concerned. Can't think of another use for the bloody
things.

 --8<--

| After all, there's no reason why you and I can't have our own RFID
| scanners, and locate the tags that we happen to find in our possession,
| now is there?

 --8<--

Not until you have to have a licence to own one :-/

You can also get reader/writer devices. I can see it already -  "But
the automated checkout /told/ me the champagne was actually value beans
and only cost 9p yer honour".