[AktiviX] Media Hacklab open meeting this Sunday

Paul M tallpaul at ml1.net
Mon May 10 15:32:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 14:25, Asa Winstanley wrote:

> > If there is a genuine lack of a Free alternative for a specific
> > activism purpose, that's one thing.
>
> The fact is that is does lack. GNU/Linux is just not up to scratch
> yet in terms of professional level multimedia - sound, video and
> DTP. I stress YET.

I'm not sure that's an excuse (or necessarily really true). I do all my
audio editing in Linux and a lot of my DTP'ing (somebody also told me
that the BBC is using cinelerra for a lot of its stuff) and yes it does
require work-arounds and a little extra effort sometimes. But I do this
precisely because I think that end users feeding back their experience
into the development process is what will help things get up to
scratch.

Paul M