[AktiviX] Media Hacklab open meeting this Sunday

Asa Winstanley asa at youthwise.org
Fri May 7 11:36:43 UTC 2004

On Thursday 06 May 2004 15:34, Charlie Harvey wrote
> | It's interesting to hear "anti-capitalists" arguing in
> | favour of warez copies of windows and supportative of
> | activists spending their free time and energy learning how
> | to support the products of monopoly capital!
>
> Don't forget, though, that most food is currently distributed by
> "monopoly capital", and many of us aren't necessarily opposed to
> people "acquiring" that - even if it's better to be in a
> permaculture project, or grow yer own :-)
>
> Didn't read the archive though - I suspect I'd've been equally
> annoyed

I share some of your feelings, but we're in danger of eliteism.
Most people -even in the west- have never heard of the FSF and
think that (for example) RealPlayer is free software because you
can get it free.

Though I think you were taking the Mick of
anarchists/anti-capitalists, Charlie, I sort of agree with your
analogy. Anti-capitalist tend to be open to learning the free
software alternatives but are not going to stop using Windows,
Quark, Premiere etc. just like that tomorrow - even where there
are free alternatives. They think it's stupid to be purist about
free software for its own sake, simply for the that same reason
that anarchists don't stop using money - life-styleism  gets us
nowhere.

asa

--
http://asa.custard.org