[AktiviX-discuss] leaving yahoo groups behind

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Fri Oct 1 20:52:09 UTC 2004

Quoting Chris <chris at aktivix.org>:

> Hi
>
> On Fri 01-Oct-2004 at 04:03:10PM +0100, NorthLondon John
> wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to use mailman - but what could I use in
> > conjunction with it to give all the extra bits (nb -
> > doesn't have to be hosted on the Aktivix server)
>
> Are you aware of any free software that does offer what
> you are after?

I think the basic idea of providing a internet based collaborative environment
for organising is sound.

Email addresses, mailing lists, web forums, irc channels,  blogs, CMS / wiki's
are the tools for this.

I would say its not a question of whether a monolithic free software solution is
out there but integrating and bolting together existing solutions.

For example a basic  GPL CMS, with specific customisations, could be used in
conjunction with mailman ( or integrated, bolted on, .. ) to add the extra
functionality.

Amongst the aktivistas I've met there certainly seems to be a breadth of
experience in many of the media above.  Providing a basic but integrated
implementation as an instant organisational toolkit should be realisable.

you could have say

www.yoursetup.aktivix.org   for managed CMS community web site
wiki.yoursetup.aktivix.org  for your freefloating wiki
yoursetup at lists.aktivix.org  for you distribution list
irc.aktivix.org/#yoursetup   for your irc channel
lotsofnames at yoursetup.aktivix.org  unlimited email addys

all created when a request is granted.

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "