[AktiviX-discuss] leaving yahoo groups behind

ana ana at aktivix.org
Sat Oct 2 02:43:55 UTC 2004

riseup does something very similar - you have 'common' web shared space,
so that memebers of the list can upload and look at, and i don't find it
particularly difficult.

i think the software they use is called sympa, you can ask them in the
#riseup channel or irc.indymedia.org

hope this helps

ana

NorthLondon John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for something a bit more than mailman - something with an
> area for larger documents to be uploaded, something accessible on the
> web to all the members, and with an easy interface (ie usable by the
> non-geek).
>
> I'm happy to use mailman - but what could I use in conjunction with it
> to give all the extra bits (nb - doesn't have to be hosted on the
> Aktivix server)
>
> Ta
>
> John
>
> On 1 Oct 2004, at 13:49, mp wrote:
>

>> hey,
>>
>> that service is running, afaik:
>>
>> and i agree: there is nothing yahoo about yahoo!
>>
>> apply to this list for your own version of an aktivix list.
>>
>> -mp
>>
>> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 11:18, NorthLondon John wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As I'm sure we all know, many radical groups use Yahoo Groups for
>>> mailing lists, sharing files etc. I must be a member of at least 10.
>>>
>>> Increasingly, I've found that Yahoo's performance has deteriorated to
>>> the point of uselessness - slow or undelivered emails, flooded by
>>> adverts, usability issues, etc.
>>>
>>> And lets not forget their exploitation of janatorial workers:
>>> http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2002/06/133695.php
>>>
>>> So:
>>> For a group without money or tech expertise who need a mailing list and
>>> some way of sharing documents - what alternatives are there?
>>> What software is there for running such services?
>>> Would it be possible for Aktivix to set up some sort of service like
>>> this?
>>>
>>> John

key: llave:
http://wiki.aktivix.org/index.php?title=User:Anita%21&oldid=383