[AktiviX-discuss] Another dumb question...

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Thu Oct 7 22:53:50 UTC 2004

Quoting Dan <dan at aktivix.org>:

> Allo,
>
> My company (who try to be ethical!) are about to pay £4000 for a
> SHAREPOINT system to allow our centres to book rooms on an  extranet.

i've never used it but.. the story i've heard is

"you'll never leave microsoft if you get sharepoint in there... and really use
it"

"Office 2003, Exchange 2003 and Sharepoint portal server 2003  integrate
together to provide a content management system.  it allows users to publish
content to collabarative areas and then manage the "who can change them" ,"what
happens when we both edit at the same time" and "can you tell me when its
changed " issues. "

So I guess its a bit like a wiki, but with more layers and transparent
integration with M$ office products, probably using some broken type of
webdav.

They have been working on these things for sometime.  Front page server
extension or office 2000 collabaration server anybody ?  thought not.

> Can anyone suggest any non-Microsoft alternatives?

Drupal, Plone, MkDoc.

Plone  ( http://www.plone.org ) might be more your style... It run on windows
too, and has a simple installer.   Supports multiple layers of user access,
deals with M$ documents easily, ... so rumour goes.  Written on Zope( and hence
python ) though you oughtn't need to know that.

I never used it either :-)  but I've heard it discussed before, and sounded very
cool.

AED
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "