[AktiviX-discuss] activix account

Charlie Harvey charlie at peopleandplanet.org
Tue Oct 12 10:20:41 UTC 2004

Picture the scene, it's 16:47 on 11 Oct 2004, and chip says:

| will be any more secure than the indymedia server which has been
| sequestrated - what happens when the feds decide to come after aktivix?

It's a good thing to be thinking about. Here's some
suggestions, some more practical than others. Perhaps we should
start a wiki page for security?

to mitigate the impact of losing our server
1. ppl w/ fast connections could be doing rsync over ssh
backups of the server. this could just be a cron job running in
the middle of the night.
2. we could have a less up to date image of the drive stashed
somewhere secure in the event of these people getting busted.
3. we could start using freenet http://freenet.sourceforge.net/
4. we could have backup servers located in other countries.

to mitigate the damage should any feds acquire the server
1. the content partition could be encrypted, say with mkcryptfs
2. we could disable logging except for errors on apache.
3. we could srm the logs quite frequently.

tar

Charlie