[AktiviX-discuss] E-citizens...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Feb 3 10:39:22 UTC 2005

Hia,

Just to say

1. Thanks for all the replies re e-citizenship - they were great.  I've
compiled some of them, and will be haranguing WEA today.  Hopefully then
we can set up a brainstorming meeting on e-citizenship infrastructure,
open source etc, at some point in the near future.

I'm also going to try to persuade them to pay me to go to London to see
what's happening in Southwark...

2. Why I need other people to join in - I can be pro-open source and
recycling, but what the hell does *any* of this mean? -

>For those who came to Aktivix sheffield and saw the Pebble wireless access point
>being built, out of old PC and wifi card, we've ported the 'stuff' thats in the
>pebble to the OpenWRT platform on the LinkSys WRT54GS ( this is a £50 consumer
>Access Point ).. which now supports ospf for routing, wds for inter AP links,
>and vpn encryption on internode links.  ( at least in our version ).  Other
>goodies you can plug in are asterix ( an open source VOIP application ),
>quality of service.  So for £50 you get a really powerful building brick for
>community network building.

I guess it means 'yay!  Cheap and easy wireless access for the masses!'
Is that right?

Cheers,

Dan

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.