[AktiviX-discuss] E-citizens meeting - poss 18th Feb

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Feb 4 00:14:29 UTC 2005

Hi!

I had a meeting today with WEA.  (Somehow it's ended up that I'm going
to be teaching web design, which is probably the funniest thing I've
ever heard...)

Anyway - I also asked for an meeting of whoever can make it from this
list / Sheffield.  The date currently up for grabs is -

Friday 18th December, time to be confirmed depending on whether any of
you can make it.

This will be a meeting of well-meaning, possibly funding-giving, WEA,
ALAC & ACLU folk - probably only three or four people from their side -
(ALAC = active citizenship for active learning and ACLU is the adult
continuing learning unit in the council.)  They are all non-techie in
the extreme - the reason why I've had so much success, simply because
the tiny amount I know is more than them!

I'm hoping that some people can come along to talk to them about

a. The advantages / pros n cons of open source
b. Possibilities re recycled computers, and building a net
infrastructure a la Alan's work.
c. To mull over citizenship and ICT generally, see if anything can come
of it.
d. End up with some sort of action plan.

I'd imagine this action plan would be quite long-term - i.e. over a
year. None of the infrastructure stuff is going to happen straight
away.  Besides which, I don't understand it.  And neither do they.
Hence the meeting, you see?

Er - on a different thing, more relevant to Sheffield (sorry others) -
WEA agreed today to fund an 'active citizenship' research project into
the masterplan! E.g. they're going to give up money for Burngreave
residents to carry out research - and it's my / our aim that this will
be aimed to give power back to the people... hell, you never know, it
might work!

Bye 4 now, and thanks for your tolerance of a
non-pseudo-pretend-techie-troll on the list,

Dan
----