[AktiviX-discuss] Trollboy again - PHP question

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Feb 9 13:34:37 UTC 2005

Quoting Dan <dan at aktivix.org>:

> Allo,
>
> Er... please say if you object to me using this list for daft questions;
> I know I should probably go to the appropriate list, but you've all been
> so accommodating so far!
>
> Question: just taking first steps into PHP-land, and would like to have
> a go at MySQL stuff.  Are there any cheap options for me to practice
> on?  What ISP would anyone recommend?

you can run php / apache / mysql on Windows .. but why not leave the evil empire
and install one of the Linux distros.  The latest distros have good hardware
support and will have php /  apache / mysql already set up and ready to roll.

dunno what other people distro's other people run ..  But I've used Debian (
harder install (ie less fluffy ) but can be made to work on _really_ old
computers ), SUSE ( more corporate looking, very simple installer, much work
gone in to making a cuddly gui, but probably doesn't support very low end
hardware any longer, but fantastic if you have a current laptop and want all
the _stuff_ to work ).

Other choices could include Mandrake ( never really floated my boat but used
heavily at Access Space in Sheffield ), Fedora (used to be called Red Hat until
red hat split to do corporate only stuff, seems to have a release cycle of
about 2 weeks also ), Ubuntu ( based on Debian but has had much work put in
making look nicer, and many others.

In fact we have just less than 100 Ubuntu installation CD's in Burngreave at the
moment.  This includes and installer CD and a 'Live CD'.  The Live CD runs from
the CD drive and doesn't touch your computers hard disk at all, so is great for
getting to know the look and feel, before diving in.

Sheffield is blessed with 2 Linux User groups, ( my favourite is slugbug ,
http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk    ) to help smooth over the rough bits and provide
support

So ..  there is masses of choice, its all really easy now, and there us no
excuse not too join us in the free world

Oh yes.. burngreave.net do negotiable php/mysql hosting  so feel free to get in
touch.

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily