[AktiviX-discuss] UK Hosting

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Tue Nov 1 15:32:29 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tue 01-Nov-2005 at 11:07:41AM +0000, john levin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap website host, one
> running on linux (naturally, debian prefereably), for a
> couple of political websites?
>
> Even better if they're efficient and ethical.
>
> Single most important thing is that I can run email
> lists through them - that seems to be the biggest
> sticking point.

The two I have been suggesting to people are:

  http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/

and

  http://www.gn.apc.org/

My impression is that Black Cat Networks are efficient and
GreenNet are ethical... I don't know of an ISP that is
both...

For example when a page on the UK Indymedia site resulted
in a libel threat a while ago Black Cat Networks
immediatly told the person running a mirror on their
network to pull the page, no indication that they actually
considered thinking about it... GreenNet would be *far*
better in this respect...

On the other hand the GreenNet UK IMC mirror dos'ed the UK
IMC rsync server when it was being set up (a cron job was
set up before the initial rsync and this resulted in so
many rsync processes that it brought the server down) and
only then it only ran for a few weeks because even though
they were told in advance of the bandwidth usage they put
the mirror on a box with a small capped bandwidth limit
and ran up a huge bill and then had to pull the plug...

So my advice would be that if your sites are political
enough that they might cause problems go with GreenNet and
if not Black Cat Networks...

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World