[AktiviX-discuss] Breaking ubuntu...

Dan Olner dan at aktivix.org
Fri Oct 7 13:09:23 UTC 2005

Hia,

Cheers... it's working with POP as mail server... er, which is odd.

But next problem: apologies if this is the wrong list...

I tried to install Thunderbird, and am still having fun learning how to
install stuff with linux.  Some of it's straightforward enough, and some
of it is horrendous.

But now I seem to have broken something.

I did this: I thought I needed the thunderbird app files in the usr/bin
folder, since that's where apps go...? But it was CHMOD'd to 755, so I
changed to 777 using SUDO to pretend to be root.

Now it won't let me change it back, even when using SUDO, and it's not
letting me run the synaptic package manager any more.  I get this:

sudo: must be setuid root

When I try to CHMOD back to 755

EEK! What have I done? (it suddenly occurs to me I should have just
moved the file using SUDO... ah well...)

So -

1. What should do about usr/bin? Where should I be putting apps?

2. Is there a good guide somewhere for beginner peeps like me, coz at
the minute it's all google n forums, which is proving messy. (Me n a
friend have already broken everything and had to re-install once when
trying to get a local MySQL server going...)

3. Which list should I be pestering?

Cheers!

Dan
---