[AktiviX-discuss] aktivix III mentioned in IRC

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Thu Oct 20 19:58:53 UTC 2005

I think we should probably decide on a date and venue relatively shortly.

Basically, the reasoning behind Edinburgh would be that Aktivix I was in
Lancaster and
Aktivix II was in Sheffield, so we can get all us geeks to a new city
insead of going back to either Sheffield or Lancaster. One problem with
Edinburgh is that it is geographically less central than Sheffield or
Lancaster so less people might come :(

Another advantage to Edinburgh is that we actually have a physical
Indymedia Centre\hacklab now that's pretty big, right beneath the Forest
Cafe (downstairs from where the Indymedia Centre was during the G8).
It's full of computer equipment. Most of it needs to be worked on,
repaired, have GNU/Linux installed on it, etc. So, that's a plus and a
minus depending on how you look at it :)  We could really use some more
geeks to come up and help it out. We do have a few computers on the net
and wireless in the Cafe working.

One drawback of Edinburgh is that we can't sleep in the Indymedia Space.
However, it would be relatively cheap to hire a church hall for people
to sleep in.

That's Edinburgh's case. I just went to Matilda (I missed Aktivix II -
apologies!) and was really impressed with their lab!! Great work, we're
trying to get something like that in Edinburgh.

Hmmm...I'll see if there's a M$ lab nearby that we can do a demo at as
well...that would be great.

                -harry