[AktiviX-discuss] help: threatened with copyright on art and ideas

Charlie Harvey charlie.harvey at peopleandplanet.org
Mon Apr 24 15:52:22 UTC 2006

echo at aktivix.org wrote:
 > Quoting max* <max at tofubandits.org.uk>:
 >
 >> hi all,
 >>
 >> does anyone have any experiences of dealing with threats re:
copyright
 >> infringments? any advice on how to deal with this? anyone
been in similar
 >> situations?
 >>
 >> we've just received this email;
 >>
 >> "Dear 'seeds for change',
 >>
 >> I have contacted the organisation three times already
without a response.
 >> I am one of the co-creators of the Blob Tree which was
published in 1988

@nti-copyright. we want

 >> people to tkae our work, use it, change it, expand it! note
that the sender
 >> of the email claims to have been asking other people to take
OUR resource of
 >> their websites, even though we give express permision to all
to use our
 >> materials.

I'd look into creative commons for stuff like this - when stuff
is in the public domain ppl can come along nick it and then use
it as if it was their own.

If you put it under cc then you've got some fairly strong legal
clout to bash them back with when they get layery. And you can
have as a condition of the licence that nobody is allowed to use
it unless they pass on the same rights (copying, sharing at no
cost, etc) to others a-la GPL...

 >> any advice on how to deal with this? anyone been in similar
situations?

Get a backup of your website in a few different places. Then
tell them to piss off and see if they do anything ?

If you've got a sound ISP you'll probably be fine - they won't
want to take it to court. But lots of ISPs really aren't sound cf.:
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA553.htm

cheers
Charlie