[AktiviX-discuss] silly questions

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Thu Sep 7 21:42:49 UTC 2006

Quoting ana <ana at aktivix.org>:

> Hi again,
>
> browsing some lists.indymedia archives, I am realising how 'very' many,
> specially in the "global south" are operating with gmail accounts to do
> indymedia stuff.
>
> I guess there are not many servers like aktivix or riseup to give them
> addresses... so my silly questions would be on the line of, do we want to
> get
> involved in changing things

this is one of the things that came out of the pga autonomous server events in
Dijon recently.  Yes ..  I would like to get involved in changing these things,
and we probably should.  I'm sure gmail and hotmail will soon hand over you
mail to cops if asked.. or worse.. gmail index everything ..  so you can be
beter targetted!  We can at least endeavour to make these things harder.

> are we concerned about good people using corporate email providers? do we
> want
> to be a general providers of 'good' email addresses?
>
> another question is the practical, economical status of the server. i know it
> is
> not as critical as an indymedia server would be but, how protected is it?

again this was an important part of the dijon event.  The server springnight is
used by a sheffield ngo for its internet stuff.  I've talked about this earlier
here.
https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/aktivix-discuss/2006-August/000957.html

And have some information to report back on it soon.

> But it would be something to talk about in a future face-to-face meeting
> maybe
> ..

that would be very good :-)

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily