[AktiviX-discuss] [AktiviX-request] it used to work, and then...

mp mp at aktivix.org
Tue Apr 3 23:36:02 UTC 2007

hi,

Gillan, Kevin wrote:
> The weird thing is that
> SSL has worked reliably for the last 6 months. I think the admins have
> set my work PC to download and install updates without telling me, so
> maybe some MS update issue.

The same issue goes for Thunderbird on two different Ubuntu machines -
so it is *not* M$ specific

> Anyhow, using aktivix as IMAP instead of POP does the trick.

Good choice. TLS works for Thunderbird.

> Incidentally, as an everyday user I rather like the functionality you
> get from the Outlook-Exchange server combo.

You could use Evolution with the non-free Exchange connector - or, as
someone recently said:

An Outlook replacement
Submitted by colding on Wed, 2007-02-14 13:14.

You are saying: "Don't expect a client replacement for Outlook that
utilizes many of Exchanges features. There isn't a Windows client
replacement for Outlook, let alone a Linux one; however, there are
alternatives depending on your organizational needs."

That is a truth with modifications. I agree that the standard Evolution
Exchange connector doesn't exactly make Evolution a feature-by-feature
replacement for Outlook. This is due to technological limitation within
WebDAV (OWA) as used by evolution-exchange. However, there is another
Exchange connector for Evolution 2.4 or later. It is called
evolution-brutus (e-b for short).

e-b is effectively using native MAPI which is also the protocol used by
Outlook. e-b therefore has the potential to become a feature-rich
replacement for Outlook. Look here
"http://www.omesc.com/content/downloads/dist/" and here
"http://www.omesc.com/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=6" for further
details. Look here "http://www.omesc.com/content/downloads/screenshots/"