[AktiviX-discuss] [AktiviX-request] it used to work, and then...

Gillan, Kevin Kevin.Gillan.1 at city.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 11:17:45 UTC 2007

Thanks for the quick response guys. My version of Outlook (2003) only
has SSL setting available, not TLS. (I noticed on a quick search for
tips that Outlook 2007 does have TLS at least.) The weird thing is that
SSL has worked reliably for the last 6 months. I think the admins have
set my work PC to download and install updates without telling me, so
maybe some MS update issue.

Anyhow, using aktivix as IMAP instead of POP does the trick.

Incidentally, as an everyday user I rather like the functionality you
get from the Outlook-Exchange server combo. Politically, I'd prefer the
uni to fully support open source projects (they do at least have a bunch
of ubuntu machines for students), and when I've done web design stuff
found MS sodding useless and linux fantastic. But for some reason the IT
department doesn't wholeheartedly trust politics academics' opinions on
either IT issues or web design :-)

Anyway, help and comments much appreciated.

Kev