[AktiviX-discuss] maqui's mail problems

maqui maqui at syndicate.org.uk
Sat Apr 14 16:16:49 UTC 2007

hiya aktivix!

here maqui, one of the imc-uk / london lot.

i've been using an aktivix account for a while now. i didn't have any
problems downloading mails to my 'mail' client until a couple of months
ago when it first stopped working. i then reported the problem in
#aktivix, and bone_idol did something at the aktivix end (server) that
sorted the problem for a while. if i am not mistaken, he said something
about the 'folders being too full". i don't know what he did but it
worked again :-)

but now it has happened again. out of the blue, it has stopped working
once more. i use the mac client 'mail v1.2.5', in a OX 10.2.8.  when
trying to get the new mails using ssl port 995, i now get this message:

"Unable to receive mail. There may be a problem with the mail server or
network. Check the settings for account maqui at ... or try again.
The server error encountered was: Reading  data from host (null)
failed."

Today i've been hanging out in irc and mp advised me to use tls port
110 instead. the thing is that with 'mail' i only have the option of
ticking ssl or untick it. if i tick it i get port 995, if i untick it i
get port 110 (but unencripted). i don't have the tls option.

still, i've tried to download mails using port 110 but it didn't work
neither. i got the following message:

"Unable to receive mail. There may be a problem with the mail server or
network. Check the settings for account maqui at ... or try again.
The server error encountered was: POP user name "maqui" unrecognized."

as far as i can see my settings are unchanged. i am also able to
download mails from  other addresses we have in another server.

So, can anyone help .. pleeaaaasee!? :-)

also, does aktivix do something regularly in the servers that could
cause these problems? i mean something new must be happening there that
causes it, coz for almost 2 years I've had no problem downloading mails
using the same client.

thankx a lot, and hope it can be sorted once more. if anyone replies
this mail, please can you copy it to the freeuk address too?. cheers

salut!
maqui

pd: i'm downloading thunderbird 1.5.0.10 nov, see if i can use it with
my ox system.