[AktiviX-discuss] Request for email address

Alan alan at aktivix.org
Tue Jul 17 13:45:56 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'd like to request an aktivix email address for a group I work with.
Not named here because google archives messages.
I'm on aktivix irc to detail further

Bacially their main contact email is with a home isp email address(!)
and they need to get a secure email due to the nature of the work

There is an issue though, they currently use their main email to send
out a LOT of emails, in the region of 1000 - 3000 every 2 weeks or so
(sorry I forgot the figure that was mentioned to me, but it is still a lot).

This usage could be transfered to a mailing list server.
but they have a detailed address book that they use to manage supporters
contacts and are grouped in different ways requiring different emails
sent to different groups.

So it looks like either set up numerous mailing lists, or try to manage
with an email address

I realise this asking a lot.
I guess this comes into territory of paying for a service, rather than
just having it for free/donation. So, does anyone have any
recommendations for me?

I copy below my edited chat with Ana for reference.

Thanks for your help.
Alan

Hi,

this is about a request for a mail account but I think it would be good to
discuss

<ana> i can create the aktivix account
<ana> but i need a name first
<Webcityca> how is aktivix with an email account that will be heavily used
<Webcityca> as in sending 3000 emails every fortnight or so?
<ana> ah
<ana> i'm not sure
<ana> this is for "normal" aktivix people..
<ana> not massive campaigns
<ana> i think it would be better to go to the #aktivix channel
<Webcityca> It's for *anon group*, they need to send out emergency news
alerts when
they come in to a list of 3000 or so
<Webcityca> okay, *anon group*isn't really a big campaign though, its run
voluntarily by a handful of people.. little money
<ana> I think what they actually need is a mailing list, dont they?
<Webcityca> yes i was thinking that, a riseup mailing list
<ana> an aktivix email list is also possible
<Webcityca> but apparently they have 3000 address book and need to be able
to seperate the emails by group, by who is a subscriber of their frontline
newspaper etc..
<ana> ok let me post this to the list and to you
<ana> it then sounds like a few mailing lists
<ana> how about you sending me an email address for them?
<ana> also what you/we need to tell them,
<Webcityca> need to be able to organise the list like outlook address book
and send emails to respectively to the different groups
<ana> is that there  is no support
<Webcityca> sure
<ana> i.e. they need to read the documentation
<Webcityca> i will be their support
<Webcityca> they aren't techie
<ana> the problem with the sending emails from an email account rather
than a mailing list
<ana> is the load on the server
<ana> that is why there is a separate server for lists
<Webcityca> okay, actually it might be 1000 rather than 3000 addresses,
but it is still a lot in one go..
<ana> yes it is
<Webcityca> I have already created a riseup mailing list for them so that
should be fine. Just that the main contact email address for them at the
moment is
at ***!
<Webcityca> do you think riseup mailing list is appropriate for them?
<ana> yes
<ana> so you already have a list...
<ana> and you only need an email address for them?
<Webcityca> yes, but they need to have multiple lists I think, and maybe
be able to cross reference them
<Webcityca> but maybe they can just use outlook/thunderbird to monitor
contacts and update the mailing lists accordingly?
<Webcityca> yes, thanks just an email address for now and I'll try and
figure out a way to deal with thier address book contacts
<ana> ok i've sent the email now,
<ana> with this conversation
<ana> hopefully they will answer