[AktiviX-discuss] Request for email address

ana ana at aktivix.org
Tue Jul 24 00:44:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

after some exploration, we realised that we need some one who can script
in either perl or python. Please do continue reading. (thanks in
advance, this is quite dense...)

Current situation with Outlook Express and one email address on a
corporate server that is getting fed up of their 3000-heavy mailouts ;-) :

at the moment the distibution of messages is done via an email group
address. there are 3,000 existing subscribers and 30 topics - but this
may be possible to narrow to 10, using the address book installed in
some one's outlook express – yuk - which they filter to send to
particular recipients.

In mailman, this can be done, according to the manual...

The topic filter categorizes each incoming email message according to
regular expression filters you specify below. If the message's Subject:
or Keywords: header contains a match against a topic filter, the message
is logically placed into a topic bucket. Each user can then choose to
only receive messages from the mailing list for a particular topic
bucket (or buckets). Any message not categorized in a topic bucket
registered with the user is not delivered to the list.

So, in mailman, the 'topics' are regular expressions that match against
the Subject and Keyword mail headers, or add a Keyword: something to the
start of each message

To get this option, it's a switch in the admin interface to turn the
facility on, then the subscribers get on their options page, one that
says, "Which topic categories would you like to subscribe to?"

Then mass subscribing 3,000 folks is a once only task for the list
admin, as is setting up the topics themselves. Now, mass subscribing
3000 folks is not hard, but allocating topics to those existing
subscribers can be.

(to complicate things, it turns out some of those topic are public and
some are very private, so the neat solution is to have two lists, one
private so that subscribers can choose the private topics and one public
so that they can choose the public topics, but this is not the most
complicated bit)

New subscribers would select the topics they wanted at subscription
time, right after subscription. But normally, as in "out of the box", it
would be the list admin that would make sure that the subscribers get
the emails they get manually, allocating the topics. automate
allocation, so that the admin does not have to do this with the 3000
initial subscribers plus whoever joins, needs scripting.

we would need perl scripters who can deal with:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/WWW-Mechanize/

or python scripters who can deal with:

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize

to emulate a browser logging in and setting everything up.

so it would parse a text file of the form; subsciber topic_1 topic_7,
subscriber_2 topic_1 topic_6 topic_9 or somesuch

In summary: we need some one who can script in either perl or python,
otherwise, and/or in the meantime, the admin would need to do this for
them, accessing their options page - for each of the 3000+ subscribers

so...

the workflow seems to go like this...

1. set up list
2. define topics
3. mass subscibe
4. for each subscriber automate topic allocation using mechanize
mentioned above

Thanks in advance!

ana