[AktiviX-discuss] [OT] can anyone help with a domain registration problem?

Paul M tallpaul at ml1.net
Tue Jan 29 09:57:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 22:57 +0000, andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> This isn't an aktivix question, but I thought someone on this list might
> have a clue how to solve my problem. I just registered a domain name
> (tikvanet.org) and ordered a web hosting package from a canadian company
> called dayanahost.com. So far everything has worked OK, but I have since
> found out that dayanahost.com contract out their proxy domain
> registration service to a company called DomainsByProxy, who look like
> they have a pretty bad record.
> Firstly, they register the domain in
> their own name,

Its the only way its possible to keep your name off it.

> and don't make it clear when you register with them that
> it belongs to them and not to you.

I'm not sure this is true. It's the first thing they mention in their
http://products.secureserver.net/products/domains_by_proxy/dbp_faq.htm

>  So if I want to stop using them, they
> may get to keep the domain name.

the FAQ also has instructions on how to transfer your domain to another
register...

>  Secondly, the reason I went for them in
> the first place was to keep my name and address off the public whois
> register, and it looks like they are not even very good at doing this -
> they have a record of giving out details to anyone who sends them a
> threatening letter, without even warning you what they have done.

Proxy domain records are not meant as a get out of jail card, more as a
way of shielding private addresses and stopping spam/junk mail. You are
going to find it very hard, if not impossible to find someone who won't
do this.

> Obviously this is my own fault, as I should have investigated things a
> bit better before I signed up for this, but does anyone on the list know:
>

> b) what's the best way to approach DomainsByProxy to get my domain name
> back off them?

see link above

> c) Are proxy domain registrators worth having anyway, or is it better to
> have your name on whois and have done with it?

For what its worth I use my home address and personal email for my
private domains and I receive maybe 1 piece of junk mail a year from
this. Its difficult to judge the amount of spam but its no more than
other accounts I don't use for this.

I can see the need for individuals to keep their private addresses off
the registrar but as a working mail/network admin if anything I'm in
favour of a stricter situation than at present with verified contact
details needed to keep a domain.

This stuff can prove very useful. I've used whois details more than once
to get hacked servers being used for credit card fraud shutdown by
contacting domain owners/tech contacts who had no idea it was going
on.

> I'm not thinking of using
> this domain for anything that controversial at the moment, but I don't
> want anyone who knows my email address for example to also know my
> postal address.

I think something like the Dynadot service -- essentially a
mail/email/phone forwarding service -- provides a useful compromise.

Paul M