[AktiviX-discuss] using ssl with a mac client ('mail')

maqui maqui at syndicate.org.uk
Thu Sep 25 19:44:50 UTC 2008

Hello aktivixtas!

This is maqui. I guess most of you know me (or my nick anyway) from
Indy and so on. I've mailed once or twice before to this list, and
always with a question, so this is no different i'm afraid.

I'm not a tech at all (quite slow with those things actually :-) so i
hope i make sense with the question, which it's only intended as
feedback/report sort of thing, though if there's a solution, all the
better! I spoke to ana (and r7 on irc) about this but there still seems
to be a problem.

Basically I'm using a mac client for my mails called 'mail'. In the
preferences i got ssl ticked for incoming mail using port 995 and it
works to receive mails. But in the outgoing preferences if i select
'springnight.burngreave.net' as the outgoing mail server, then it only
works (i can send and receive mails) if i do it between aktivix
addresses, but if i send to non aktivix addresses, then it doesn't work
and it says that an "error occurred".

So in order to be able to send mails from my maqui aktivix address to
other non aktivix contacts i have to disable ssl and use
'smtp.ntlworld.com' as outgoing mail server, with port 25. R7 suggested
to change the port to 993 but it didn't work neither.

Do i make sense? Hope so :-p

Ok, and thanks a lot for your time and efforts with aktivix btw!

Cheers
maqui