[AktiviX-discuss] using ssl with a mac client ('mail')

Ian Gregory ianji at zenatode.org.uk
Thu Sep 25 20:36:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:44:50PM +0100, maqui wrote:

> Basically I'm using a mac client for my mails called 'mail'. In the
> preferences i got ssl ticked for incoming mail using port 995 and it
> works to receive mails. But in the outgoing preferences if i select
> 'springnight.burngreave.net' as the outgoing mail server, then it only
> works (i can send and receive mails) if i do it between aktivix
> addresses, but if i send to non aktivix addresses, then it doesn't work
> and it says that an "error occurred".

And a good thing too, otherwise springnight would soon be blacklisted as
an open relay. Springnight only accepts email to email addresses it is
responsible for, like aktivix ones. It might handle authenticated SMTP,
in which case if you want to use it for your outgoing server you will
need to configure your system to authenticate with an authorised
username and password.

Otherwise you should use your ISP's outgoing server for sending - it
will allow you to send email based on the fact that your machine has an
IP address assigned to you by your ISP.

Ian

--
Ian Gregory