[AktiviX-discuss] using ssl with a mac client ('mail')

ana ana at aktivix.org
Fri Sep 26 00:38:07 UTC 2008

(including maqui because i'm not sure if he's subscribed to this list)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Ian Gregory wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 08:44:50PM +0100, maqui wrote:
>
> > Basically I'm using a mac client for my mails called 'mail'. In the
> > preferences i got ssl ticked for incoming mail using port 995 and it
> > works to receive mails. But in the outgoing preferences if i select
> > 'springnight.burngreave.net' as the outgoing mail server, then it only
> > works (i can send and receive mails) if i do it between aktivix
> > addresses, but if i send to non aktivix addresses, then it doesn't work
> > and it says that an "error occurred".
>
> And a good thing too, otherwise springnight would soon be blacklisted as
> an open relay. Springnight only accepts email to email addresses it is
> responsible for, like aktivix ones. It might handle authenticated SMTP,
> in which case if you want to use it for your outgoing server you will
> need to configure your system to authenticate with an authorised
> username and password.

Hang on there - maqi has got an authorised username and password! he's not
trying to use it as an open relay. and when having a username and
password, springnight does and should work to send emails to all email
addresses - or what am i missing? maybe he's not using his username and
pass for outgoing mail server but then each time he tries, his client
("mail" for macs) should warn him that the server is asking for user name
and pass and let him input it?

maqui on the outgoing servers, check that the "properties" of the server
include your user name and pass  i guess ...

> Otherwise you should use your ISP's outgoing server for sending - it
> will allow you to send email based on the fact that your machine has an
> IP address assigned to you by your ISP.

I really don't think we should encourage people to use their commercial
internet service provider for sending - or receiving for that matter -
email. riseup used to ask people to do this because of limited resources,
but they strongly recommend using riseup for receiving and sending:

http://help.riseup.net/mail/faq/sending-mail/#why_should_i_use_riseupnets_outgoing_mail_server

the first reason,

The SMTP provided by riseup.net is over an encrypted connection

aplies to aktivix as well, as long as we use the option to send via TLS or
SSL, which is what maqui is trying to do.

any more comments welcome of course ...

ana