[AktiviX-discuss] learning ./configure

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Fri Aug 21 01:19:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:03:40PM +0200, r7 wrote:
> ekes wrote:
>
> > To build against a library you usually need the -dev version of the
> > package as well - so in this case I'm guessing
> >   libncursesw5-dev - developer's libraries for ncursesw
> > will do you for this stage at least.
>
> this worked, at least for the ./configure stage ;-) thank you.

After you
./configure; make; sudo make install

It'll probably install its binaries and config into /usr/local
this can be problematic if you have other versions of the software about, as which one you run  can depend on your $PATH
Also removing the software after doing a make install is not necessarily trivial.
Again resulting in possible problems with different versions of software.

I'd like to know more about packaging software ( particulary creating debs ) to allow it to be consistently installed, removed, upgrade etc

--
Alan Dawson