[AktiviX-discuss] learning ./configure

mp mp at aktivix.org
Fri Aug 21 13:17:09 UTC 2009

Alan Dawson wrote:

> After you
> ./configure; make; sudo make install
>
> It'll probably install its binaries and config into /usr/local
> this can be problematic if you have other versions of the software about, as which one you run  can depend on your $PATH
> Also removing the software after doing a make install is not necessarily trivial.
> Again resulting in possible problems with different versions of software.
>
> I'd like to know more about packaging software ( particulary creating debs ) to allow it to be consistently installed, removed, upgrade etc

It can be really useful to have a virtual or parallel system, a replica
of your main system, as a sandbox, and then use that to create your
binary .debs with checkinstall. That way you can avoid all the extra
libraries/packages requierd for the build proces in the main system and
only install the binaries, which can be removed again with dpkg or
apt-get. Clean and simple. In any case, it is always easiest to use
checkinstall.

mp