[AktiviX-discuss] blogs

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Wed May 6 13:16:49 UTC 2009

Hi

On Wed 06-May-2009 at 01:52:00PM +0100, aktivix-discuss-bounces at lists.aktivix.org wrote:

> as some people may know, i've been trying to set up some blog software
> so that aktivix can provide blogs to people. i've tried a whole range
> of possibilities, and i'm still playing (a little) but i wanted to
> raise some points for discussion, and also open a space up so that
> people can ask questions or make suggestions or whatever.
>
> first, the most crucial question: the domain name.
>
>  * can we give people USERNAME.aktivix.org domain names, or does it
>    have to be USERNAME.blogs.aktivix.org ?

If you want a wild card dns like we have for the wiki,
*.wiki.aktivix.org to point to the ip of the server then yes, it would
have to be NAME.blogs.aktivix.org

Otherwise you need to add a dns entry for each site, whitch would be a
PITA...

> personally, i would very much like to give people USERNAME.aktivix.org
> as i think the other one is too long.
>
> other questions....
>
> * do we want to be able to host USERNAME.otherdomain.net on the same
>   platform as well?
>
> (i think we do)
>
> * security: if we have *only* secure access, there will probably be
>   *lots* of warnings that might be hard to fix when we have lots of
>   separate sites all trying to use the same certificate.

It shouldn't be an issue, if the other domain's allow the admin of the
server to generate cacert certs then a script can generate the csr after
a domain name is added, if people can't sort out replying to a
root at otherdomain.net email then they would have to live with a cert
warning.

> i think that http access is probably necessary - at least for just
> viewing sites. chris may have some useful thoughts tho?

Sure, just require https for logins.

Chris